Wednesday, November 5, 2008

God is Sovereign


Shelby has been quite intrigued with the political process. In fact I told Tracy that we have an Alex Keaton (80's reference for you young 'uns!) on our hands. She has told me over and over again who she is voting for and why, some valid reasons and some not. She repeatedly asks me who I am voting for and I usually avoid answering the question. Why you may ask? That is for another post. Anyway, she told me at the dinner table a few days ago that if she were president she would make it where 7 year olds could vote because she thinks they would pick the right man or woman. I ask her that would be dangerous because a lot of 7 year olds don't follow politics like she does and they might pick Spongebob Squarepants for president. She agreed.


Yesterday afternoon when I picked her from school she asked me if I voted and I said yes. She told she had voted too. And then proceeded to tell me AGAIN why she voted the way she did. I told her good for you. Voting is an important part of being an American citizen.


Fast forward to last night at dinner, Shelby asked how we would know who won. Tracy said it would be on T.V. for hours and hours. I might add he said this very unenthusiastically. (I think there was some football game on.) I told her that no matter who won this was going to be historic because either way we were going to have the first black president or the first woman vice- president.


As we watched the returns, she became a little down. Now you probably can guess who she was rooting for. I told her not to be because we had prayed that who God wanted to win would. I then explained that God is sovereign. He is control of the universe whether a man/woman recognizes that or not. Does that mean things will be easy? Maybe. Or hard? Maybe. But the point is to trust in God's plans, not man. I told her we would pray for our new president regardless of whether we voted for him or not. And then she went to bed.


Did she understand what I was saying? I don't know. But I do know that we, as a body of believers, need to understand that. God is sovereign. God is faithful. God is good. He is the One who turns the hearts of kings!

1 comment:

Jill said...

she looks so cute in that picture!